This refreshing detox smoothie takes only five mins to prepare and will help cleanse your skin and organs, giving your body lots of vitamins and minerals and is also deliciously refreshing on a hot summer day!
You don’t have to follow my exact recipe, play with it, have fun and throw in whatever you like!
- 3-4 cups filtered water
- A few ice cubes
- 1 bag TJ frozen pineapple bits (or fresh pineapple is even better!) –helps eliminate toxins out of the body, increases immunity, bone strength, eye health, digestion, anti inflammatory.
- 1 cup fresh spinach – full of vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. Good source of vitamins A, B2, C and K, and also contains magnesium, manganese, folate, iron, calcium and potassium.
- 1 cup sliced persian cucumbers (with peels) – helps detox the kidneys. Keeps you hydrated, fights heat, aides in weight loss, and great for your skin.
- 3 tbsp organic chia seeds – among the most nutritious foods on the planet. Loaded with fiber, protein, Omega-3 fatty acids and various micro nutrients.
- 2 tbsp whole ground flaxseed meal – Omega-3 essential fatty acids, great for heart and has antioxidant qualities.
- 1-2 squeezed lemon or lime – helps alkalize the body and balance the PH levels in your blood, helping you lose weight. Helps skin, digestion, respiratory disorders and more.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil – helps you feel satiated and lowers inflammation in body, lowers cholesterol and promotes heart health.
- 1 tbsp glutamine powder (optional) – helps gut function, the immune system, and other essential processes in the body, especially in times of stress.
- 1 tbsp maca powder (optional) – Rich in vitamins, calcium, zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and amino acids. Helps with sexual function, women’s health, skin and mood balance.
- 4 dates or a tsp of natural honey (optional, I used both) – Dates are a good source of various vitamins and essential minerals, great source of energy, sugar and fiber. Honey contains flavonoids & antioxidants which help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease. It’s an bacterial, reduces cough and throat irritations and much more.
Simply throw everything into the vitamix or any blender you have. Allow the chia to sit in the water for 15-20 mins. (Water soaked chia seeds are easier to digest and the nutrients are better absorbed and assimilated in your body.) Then blend well, top with a lemon or lime and enjoy!
** Juicing Vs Blending
Juicing and blending are both great ways to include a lot of produce in our diet, and also to consume a greater variety than we may otherwise eat. But they are different. When you juice you are removing the insoluble fiber – the pulp. Fiber is good for you. It keeps your digestive tract healthy and it slows down the absorption of sugar. But it also slows down the absorption of nutrients and some nutrients stay in the fiber. When you juice, you are extracting up to 70% of the nutrition right into your glass, and without the insoluble fiber your body absorbs 100% of these nutrients. Juice and Blend! Both are great!
Create a fruit and veggie smoothie or juice with some of your favorites!