One of my favorite quick five minute cleanses is a glass of hot lemon water and I drink it every morning! Have you ever tried it? This simple “tea” has enormous health benefits for your body. It requires very little prep and has lots of pay off;) Lemon water has become a popular morning beverage, as it helps to improve your mood, energy levels, immune system and metabolic health. It gives the body vitamins, minerals and trace elements that the body needs. During the night our body dehydrates and in the morning the body tissues are in need of water to remove all the toxins that were built overnight. Starting off the day with fresh lemon juice and warm water will eliminate the toxins and regulate the kidneys and digestive tract.
Not convinced yet? Here are some of its many health benefits!
- Electrolyte up: Lemon water will provide your body with plenty of hydrating electrolytes in the form of potassium, calcium and magnesium.
- Joint healing: It can help reduce both joint and muscle pain.
- Better digestion: Drinking warm lemon water can help your body with digestion thanks to the citric acid contained in lemon. This acid interacts with various enzymes in your body and stimulates the secretion of gastric juice.
- Increased liver function: Your liver will produce more enzymes with the help of lemon water over any other substance.
- Liver cleansing: Lemon water also aids your liver in helping it release toxins.
- Fight respiratory infections: Lemon water can help you battle everything from sore throats to tonsil inflammation, thanks to the anti-inflammatory property of lemon.
- Regulates bowel movement: Helps you better regulate your bowel movements.
- Aid your metabolism: Being a powerful antioxidant, it can protect your body from various free radicals and also strengthen your immune system.
- Reduce depression and anxiety symptoms: Lemon water has a high potassium content – depression and anxiety are often linked to not having enough potassium in your blood.
- Cleanse: Lemon water can help cleanse your blood, blood vessels and arteries.
- Regulate blood pressure: Daily ingestion of one lemon is estimated to reduce high blood pressure by 10%.
- Alkalize yourself: Lemon water allows your body to keep a higher pH level, helping your body fight off diseases.
- Revitalize your skin: Lemons contain vitamin C, which is known to improve skin conditions through the revitalizing of the body.
- Reduce gout pain: Gout pain can be attributed to a buildup of uric acid – lemon water helps dilute this acid, thereby reducing this pain.
- Protect your body through pregnancy: The vitamin C in the lemon helps pregnant woman fight viruses and the formation of the bone tissue of the unborn baby. The potassium in the lemon also helps the unborn baby by forming the cells of the brain and the nervous system.
- Relieve heartburn: Helps relieve heartburn.
- Kidney stone relief: Helps dissolve gallstones, kidney stones, pancreatic stones and calcium deposits.
- Lose weight: Lemons have pectin fiber, which aids in the suppression of hunger cravings.
- Oral Health: Drinking lemon water can help relieve tooth pain and fight gingivitis.
- Prevent Cancer: Several studies have found that cancer cannot thrive in an environment that is rich with alkaline – a substance prevalent in lemon.(Adapted from davidwolfe.com)
For additional health benefits and to use this as a super powerful cleansing tonic, I often add fresh ginger, or fresh turmeric. Grate a small piece into a tea infuser and let it seep for a few mins with the cover on. Another idea is to mix a little cinnamon into it which has many healing properties or mint leaves, or just drink it plain. This is the first beverage I have everyday and if you care about your health, energy, and vitality, you should try it too! Think of it as an internal cleanse for your body each day; kind of like an internal shower.
This week’s health tip:
I challenge you to try some hot or cold lemon water every morning this week before your morning coffee (you might not even want or need your coffee after that) and reply in the comments and let me know how you feel:)
One thought on “Lemon Water!”
You sold me. I am starting this tomorrow morning.
LikeLiked by 1 person